Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Erica Sadler





I've been thinking about heavy materials, maybe because I really love concrete, and how material in general can influence work. I made another pair of "heels" using concrete but they are still in progress. The concrete seemed to be a better material choice while still maintaining the impermanence or "breaking point" that the previous shoes had; I wanted something that is wearable but also deteriorates as it is worn. The concrete version is still in progress because they aren't easily wearable yet. I'm thinking of maybe redoing them and staying closer to the original form of just a heel and some ankle supports/clasps to keep them in place when walking.
I've also been consumed with this idea of carrying myself and finding a way to carry or move my own weight. The shoes are a good start because they support the entire weight of my body at one point but I'm considering creating an object that is equal in weight to myself that I would move/push around a space in order to wear down on the object a considerable amount if not completely. I'm still trying to decide what material might be best for this; concrete won't deteriorate that easily but I haven't decided if plaster is the best decision or if I'm just considering it out of necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment